Monday 4 April 2011

The art of falling.

Saturday training at the TSYR dojo consisted of sword disarming techniques, then a whole lot of taijutsu. Here is where I feel the classical budo overlaps with modern aikido a wee bit. The techniques were against a wrist grab and I saw a variant of ikkyo, nikyo, sankyo, kote gaeshi and a kokyu nage sort of throw. However, imagine these techniques on steroids! The movement was much sharper and smaller often starting and ending with a strike. I enjoyed the fact that my breakfall experience in aikido came to the fore. It gave me and my partner the freedom to explore the technique without worrying about my welfare too much. Sensei mentioned utilising my skills in ukemi in future, not sure what that means, I guess time will tell.

All but one other student of the club has a background in karate and are still working on their ukemi so it was nice to feel competent for a change.

No comments:

Post a Comment