Wednesday 30 March 2011

Substance.

I'm tired. On a Tuesday night I start a martial arts sojourn. At 4pm I teach teenagers aikido until 5:30pm. Then I drive to my own aikido training, 6pm - 7:30pm. I then throw down some high energy food and drink and drive to my final training location for the night. 8:30pm - 9:30pm Takamura-ha Shindo Yoshin Ryu training.
As my night progresses, the training gets more difficult as I get more tired.

The subtle nature of TSYR training is difficult to grasp in a tired state but I also realise I am learning something new every time I step into that dojo. Last night I was shown the first two kata of the second sword kata series.
I'm still trying to get the simple mechanics of the movements and the internal power is not happening. Due to this my movements have no substance. One of my training partners said he had to pull back on his tsuki as he could feel that he was going to thrust straight through my defence even though I was doing my best to defend myself. I know in time as my confidence builds, I will be paying more attention to how I am powering my movements. In the meantime I will continue to have no substance, like a shadow of myself on a martial sojourn, every Tuesday night.

Bring on Saturday!

No comments:

Post a Comment